What We Did and Didn't Love about ABCmouse5:00 AM
ABCmouse.com many of you have probably heard of them, but do you know what they are really about? That was us. I had seen the commercials; we even have a couple of their apps, but I had no idea what their full site was like. Well, we tried them out! Read on to learn our thoughts. I received a subscription to ABCmouse.com in exchange for an honest review.
- Ages 2-8 (preschool to second grade)
- Over 800 Lessons across 10 Levels
- 8,500+ Activities
- Common Core Aligned
- Includes Reading, Math, Science and Social Studies, and Art
- Activities include Games, Books, Songs, Puzzles, and Art
I'll be honest, when you first enter ABCmouse.com it can be a bit overwhelming. Luckily, the program walks you through setting up your profile as well as your kids profiles. If your kids are anything like mine, they will want to help with their own profiles, but they can also change them later on.
How does ABCmouse Teach?
ABCmouse.com boasts multi-award winning, expertly designed curriculum that claims to accelerate learning (read more about their curriculum here). In order for kids to learn though, they have to be able to use the site.
Luckily the site functions or traditional computers as well as through apps on phones and tablets. It also uses spoken directions, so the non-readers can still play the games.
There are multiple ways your child can play and learn. They can follow the suggested learning path which will cover the curriculum appropriate for their age, or they can pick and choose the activities they want to do. There are many activities that cover the same information providing the repetition needed for true learning to occur.
You can even design your own curriculum for using the available activities!
Things my kids love about ABCmouse.
- Their own profile with a customizable avatar, a room, a fish tank, a hamster cage, and a pet park.
- Earn tickets to buy things to add to their avatar, room, fish tank, hamster cage, and pet park.
- Bright colors and interactive activities that hold their attention.
- Extremely catchy songs they can't stop singing.
Things I love about ABCmouse.
- Can be used on the phone, tablet, or computer
- Occupies my younger kids with educational activities
- Good introduction to using the computer
- No pop-ups or advertisements
- Parent area to watch kids progress and adjust levels and lessons as needed
Really, there is no commitment, as you can cancel anytime.