October 20, 2013

Egg Carton Dragon Puppet


Remember the royal toilet paper roll puppets I shared over at Enchanted Homeschooling Mom.


To go with them, I put together this egg carton dragon puppet! You start with 2 egg cartons.


Paint the bumpy part white. Then I painted the area between what would become the teeth red for gums,  but you could easily leave it white too.


If your egg carton has holes in the top you can just hot glue a piece of cardboard over them and then paint the rest green.


Cut off the last two bumps on both egg cartons. This makes a spot for you to put in your hand (fingers on tops and thumb on the bottom), so your dragon can open his mouth to eat the villagers talk. If I had been thinking I would have cut off the back of the egg carton before painting it.


One of the sections you cut off becomes the dragons eyes with a little black paint and hot glue.


Then you should have something that looks a bit like this. I made hits be a dragon, but he could easily be a dinosaur or an alligator too.


The next step is to make a neck to hide your arm.  If you are lucky you have an old long sleeved shirt that matches lying around, so you can just cut off the sleeve and use it. (I happened to have an old green sweater that worked well!  If not you have to sew a sleeve. Then you hot glue it around the entire back of your dragon (including his teeth; it helps keep him together).


All you have to do now is insert your hand and put on a show (or eat the other puppets)!




The girls really enjoy their dragon, but he is a bit big for their little hands. This puppet is best operated by an older child or an adult. In our case Daddy makes the best dragon. Eli really enjoyed him and kept coming up to the puppet, yelling "BITE," and giggling as he ran away!

24 comments:

  1. This dragon is adorable! It would also be perfect to go along with the Reluctant Dragon...or even for Chinese New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute, and what a great way to reuse egg cartons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm stopping by from the Teaching Tuesdays linkup!

    What kid wouldn't love to have this adorable puppet? (I know I would have!) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's adorable! What fun for telling and retelling favorite fairytales!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously?!! My kids would go crazy for this!! I must make one (or five)...though my oldest would want to make it herself... ;) I'm pinning it to my (CarlaINHouston) Craft Ideas board...thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this linky party. There are so many interesting blog posts with fun and educational activities I can learn from. I'm a first time mom for a 1-year-old girl and most of time I have no idea what to do with her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of the neatest crafts I think I've ever seen, especially love the recycling aspect and am sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this and going to share! Stopping by from Hearts for Home Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a good use of egg cartons!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha this is too cute. I bet my kids would get a kick out of it. Thanks for sharing and for linking up to Thrifty Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is SUCH an awesome puppet! Thanks for sharing at After School!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cute idea! Stopping by from the Planned in Pencil Link party!:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is an adorable puppet! I love it. I pinned it. : 0 ) Theresa (Capri + 3)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a brilliant idea!! So clever - have pinned :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's really clever! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome idea!!!! Am going to pin it too! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute craft! We will be doing this for Chinese New Year!
    Thanks for linking up with the Hearts for Home Blog Hop. I chose this post as one of my favorites, and I'm featuring it this week! Stop by and grab an "I was featured" button for your blog. :) http://learningtable.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your dragon puppet is amazing!! Thanks for linking up to the After School Linky Party!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your dragon rocks! I love it! I can't wait to make one. Thank you for sharing at our Pinning for Play link party!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My boys would love this - featuring at Family Fun Friday!
    Monica
    http://www.happyandblessedhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love these cute idea!!! I will be featuring it on tomorrows Serenity Saturday

    Natasha xx

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss a post! Follow by Email

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Bria and Nadia's Fishes

Blogging tips